H2B Visa to Green Card: What You Need to Know


Embarking on the journey from an H2B visa to a green card can be a complex process, filled with numerous steps and potential obstacles. This article aims to provide a comprehensive guide to help you navigate the path. This transition is a significant milestone for many individuals seeking to make the United States their permanent home, and understanding the process with an immigration lawyer is the first step towards achieving this goal.

The H2B visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows foreign nationals to enter the United States temporarily for seasonal, non-agricultural employment. This visa is particularly popular among individuals seeking to work in industries such as hospitality, landscaping, and construction. On the other hand, a green card, officially known as a Permanent Resident Card, grants immigrants the benefits of permanent residency in the U.S. These benefits include the ability to live and work in the U.S. indefinitely, protection under U.S. laws, and the ability to apply for U.S. citizenship after a certain period.

Understanding Immigration and the H-2B Visa

The H-2B visa is designed for individuals who wish to work in the U.S. on a temporary or seasonal basis in non-agricultural sectors. Eligibility for this visa hinges on several factors, including the nature of the job, the employer’s requirements, and the applicant’s qualifications. However, it’s important to note that the H-2B visa is not a direct pathway to permanent residency. It is a temporary visa, and once the visa period expires, the holder is expected to return to their home country unless they have taken steps towards changing their immigration status.

Transitioning from H-2B Visa to Green Card

While the H-2B visa is not an immigrant visa, there are still possibilities for H-2B visa holders to transition to a green card. This process typically involves an employer or a family member petitioning on behalf of the H-2B visa holder. However, the transition is not straightforward and requires careful planning and understanding of U.S. immigration laws. It’s also worth noting that the transition process can be lengthy and requires patience and perseverance from the applicant.

Role of Employment-Based Petitions in Permanent Resident Green Card Application

Employment-based petitions, particularly the EB-2 and EB-3 visa categories, can play a significant role in the transition from an H-2B visa to a green card. These categories are designed for workers with specific skills, degrees, or substantial experience in various fields. Navigating these categories can be complex, but with the right guidance, they can provide a viable pathway to a green card for H-2B visa holders. It’s important to understand that these categories have annual limits, and applicants may face long waiting periods.

Employers play a pivotal role in the transition from an H2B visa to a green card. During the fiscal year, employers seeking to hire foreign workers on a permanent basis must first obtain a certificate approval from the Department of Labor. This certificate, known as the PERM Labor Certification, verifies that there are insufficient U.S. workers who are able, willing, and qualified to perform the job at hand. Once the PERM Labor Certification is approved, the employer can then file an immigrant petition on behalf of the H2B visa holder. It’s important to note that the filing date of this petition, known as the priority date, is crucial in the green card process. The priority date must become current before the H2B visa holder can apply for a green card. This process can be lengthy and requires meticulous planning and patience from both the employer and the employee. However, with the right guidance and perseverance, the journey from an H2B visa to a green card can be successfully navigated, providing a path for foreign workers to make their stay in the U.S. a permanent one.

Navigating the H2B Visa Holder Process with a Lawyer

Transitioning from an H2B visa to a green card can be a challenging process, especially considering the various categories and caps involved in U.S. immigration law. This is where the expertise of a top Newark New Jersey immigration lawyer comes into play. A lawyer can provide the necessary guidance and support, helping both the H2B visa holder and the petitioner – who could be an employer or a family member – navigate the complexities of the process.

For instance, the H2B visa has a cap, limiting the number of foreign workers from countries who can be granted this visa each fiscal year. A lawyer can help strategize the best way to secure a valid position within this cap. Furthermore, they can assist in identifying the most suitable category for applying for a green card, whether it’s an employment-based or family-based category.

In addition, the lawyer can help prepare and file the required paperwork, ensuring that all the necessary steps are correctly followed. This is particularly important for H2B visa holders in the south, where the demand for seasonal non-agricultural workers often exceeds the available cap.

Having a lawyer to provide expert advice and to advocate on behalf of the H2B visa holder can significantly increase the chances of a successful transition to a green card. They can help address any issues promptly and ensure that the process moves forward without unnecessary setbacks.

Frequently Asked Questions

Many H-2B visa holders have questions about the transition to a green card. This section will address common questions and provide clear, concise answers to help demystify the process. Whether you’re wondering about the timeline for the transition, the costs involved, or the potential obstacles you might face, this section aims to provide the answers you need to navigate the process with confidence.

Can you go from an H-2B visa to a green card?

Yes, it is possible to transition from an eligible H-2B visa to a green card, but the process is not straightforward. The H-2B visa is a non-immigrant visa, and transitioning to a green card typically involves an employer or a family member petitioning on behalf of the H-2B visa holder.

Can a work visa turn into a green card?

Yes, certain types of work visas can potentially lead to a green card. However, the process can be complex and often requires the applicant to go through several steps, including obtaining a PERM Labor Certification and an approved immigrant petition.

How long can you stay in the US after your H-2B work visa expires?

Once the H-2B visa expires, the visa holder is expected to leave the United States and not come back. Overstaying can lead to serious consequences, including being barred from returning to the U.S. for several years.

Can I change from an H-2B to an EB-3 visa?

Yes, it’s possible to transition from an eligible H-2B to an EB-3 visa, which is an employment-based immigrant visa. However, this process typically involves obtaining a PERM Labor Certification and an approved immigrant petition from a prospective employer.

Does the H-2B visa lead to a “green card” or U.S. citizenship?

The H-2B visa itself does not directly lead to a green card or U.S. citizenship. However, H-2B visa holders may have options to apply for a green card through employment-based or family-based petitions, which, after obtaining permanent residency, could eventually lead to U.S. citizenship.


Transitioning from an H-2B visa to a green card is a significant step that requires careful planning, consultation, and understanding of U.S. immigration laws. While the process can be complex, with the right information and guidance, it is certainly achievable. Always remember to consult with an immigration professional to receive personalized advice for your situation. By understanding the process and requirements, you can navigate the journey from an H2B visa to a green card with confidence. This journey may be challenging, but with determination and the right resources, it can lead to a rewarding future in the United States.

You may also like…

IR1 vs CR1

IR1 vs CR1

  The IR1 visa serves as a pathway for spouses of U.S. citizens who have solidified their marital bond for two years or more by the time they apply. This category is designed to facilitate the unification of families by granting immediate permanent residency to...

EB1 vs EB2

EB1 vs EB2

  The EB1 visa acts as a gateway for individuals possessing specific skills, along with professors, researchers, and certain multinational executives and managers, to gain permanent residency in the United States. To qualify, applicants must unequivocally...

Form I-246 Stay of Removal

Form I-246 Stay of Removal

  Form I-246, known as the Stay of Removal, represents a vital recourse for individuals under a deportation or removal order, offering a temporary reprieve from leaving the United States. Its primary purpose is to provide individuals facing immediate deportation...