Qualifications for TN non-immigrant status

The North American Free Trade Agreement allows citizens of Canada and Mexico to work legally in the United States without applying for immigrant status. If you have a prearranged job in New Jersey, you may qualify for the TN non-immigrant classification if you meet specific conditions.

The TN classification is a professional designation

This immigration classification allows qualified professionals to temporarily enter the United States and work here for three years. To be eligible for this designation, you must be a professional with the education and qualifications to practice in your field. Among the types of professionals eligible are accountants, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists and teachers. In addition to having a prearranged job, you must also provide documentation showing your qualifications.

Canadian citizens do not need a visa, but they should provide proof of Canadian citizenship and an approval notice from USCIS for Form I-129. On the other hand, Mexican citizens must apply for a visa for TN classification and then apply for admission into the country at a designated U.S. port of entry or a designated inspection station.

Spouses and families may also live in the U.S. with TN workers during the work period. Your dependents may not work while in the United States, but they may attend school.

Extending your TN classification

As a TN immigrant, you are initially restricted to three years in the United States. You may be able to extend your TN classification beyond the original three years if you still have employment.

Workers with a TN classification may be able to petition to change their status to another immigration status if they desire to stay in the United States. However, if you are considering doing so, note that the process can be complicated and may take a long time.

You may also like…

7 Personal Injury Claim Mistakes and How to Avoid Them

7 Personal Injury Claim Mistakes and How to Avoid Them

In 2020, approximately 190,783 car accidents occurred in New Jersey. Unfortunately, anyone who drives or rides in a car is at risk for a collision. A collision shakes up your life and can leave you with lifelong injuries. However, you have the legal right to request...

How to Choose a DUI Lawyer: Everything You Need to Know

How to Choose a DUI Lawyer: Everything You Need to Know

Charges for driving while impaired or under the influence can vary from a misdemeanor to a felony offense. Consequences often involve a driver's license revocation, jail time, or even fines of $10,000 or more. If you're facing charges or you're reading this for...

What can you expect when taking the naturalization test?

If you are an immigrant living in New Jersey who has always wished to become a United States citizen, you can prepare for the naturalization test. Once you have your interview and pass, you can look forward to a whole new future. This is what to expect with the...