What is the fiance(e) visa and how does it work?

If you are the foreign fiance(e) of a New Jersey resident, you will want to obtain the fiance(e) visa. It’s important to know all about this visa and how it works.

What is the fiance(e) visa?

The finance(e) visa is the K-1 nonimmigrant visa. It’s the visa that citizens of the United States who are engaged to foreign citizens need to obtain so that their fiance(e) can legally stay in the country. To obtain the visa, it’s necessary to file Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance(e). This visa is an important one to have for foreign fiance(e)s to remain in the U.S. prior to the marriage.

How does the fiance(e) visa work?

To obtain and hold the K-1 visa, the foreign fiance(e) and U.S. citizen must intend to marry within 90 days of the fiance(e) coming into the country on the visa.

Theirs must be a valid marriage. The foreign fiance(e) and U.S. citizen are required to have a legitimate relationship, love each other and plan to start a future together. After the marriage takes place, the foreign spouse can apply for permanent residency in the country.

How can you obtain a fiance(e) visa?

Only a U.S. citizen can obtain a fiance(e) visa to bring that person into the country legally. Neither party can already be married as they are required to get married to one another within 90 days of getting the K-1 nonimmigrant visa. The parties must also at least meet in person once within two years before the U.S. citizen files the petition for the visa. However, it’s possible to waive that requirement if the individual can prove that meeting in person would be a hardship to them or that it would violate their fiance(e)’s culture or practice.

You may also like…

F1 Visa to Green Card

F1 Visa to Green Card

  The F1 visa to Green Card process is for international students who wish to pursue academic studies or language training programs in the United States. Its primary purpose is to enable students from around the globe to engage in full-time study at accredited...