- Regardless of whether you’re facing felony or misdemeanor charges, having a New Jersey criminal defense attorney on your side is an enormous benefit. However, before you decide to hire a New Jersey criminal defense attorney, you should make sure that you’re prepared to ask the right questions and have an idea of how you’re going to pay your attorney.
Hiring a New Jersey criminal defense attorney has several advantages over a public defender or self-representation:1. Criminal defense attorneys have a lot of experience with criminal cases, so they’ll be able to help you choose the best option for your criminal case.2. Criminal defense attorneys have experience working out plea deals, which could lessen your charges if a conviction is more than likely.3. Criminal defense attorneys will have a team that helps them gather evidence and locate witnesses to strengthen your defense in a criminal case.4. A criminal defense attorney will know how to cross-examine witnesses, and are knowledgeable about what is and isn’t permitted in a court.5. The criminal defense attorney that you work with will have access to experts who will be able to testify on your behalf, which will benefit your case and discredit the prosecution.6. Last but not least, criminal defense attorneys have expert contacts who can help you cope with the emotional issues the case brings up, such as depression or anxiety.What to bring to an appointment with a criminal defense attorney?It’s essential that you bring the right documents when meeting with a potential criminal defense attorney. Here’s a list of things that you should bring with you.
- Court documents that show your charges and court appearance date
- Bail papers
- A copy of the police report, if possible
- Paperwork issued by police
- A list of witnesses, victims, and other defendants
- A list of questions to ask your potential criminal defense attorney
Questions to ask a defense attorney
- Where and when did you attend law school?
- How long have you been practicing criminal law
- How often do your clients go trial
- Which bar associations do you belong to?
Questions about your specific case
- What are my legal options?
- What problems will we face?
- What can I expect throughout the process?
Questions about the management of your case
- Are you available to represent me?
- Will anyone else be working on my case? If so, who?
- Who will be my main point of contact?
- What is the best way to contact you?
Paying your criminal defense attorney
- Most criminal defense attorneys charge a flat fee or an hourly rate
- Felony cases tend to be more expensive when compared to misdemeanor ones
Depending on the severity of your case, you might find that it’s in your best interest to choose an attorney that has a higher rate and a good reputation.
Ask the following questions to learn more about how payment works:
- Will I be required to pay a retainer fee along with your hourly rate? If so, how does this work?
- What does your flat rate include and exclude?
- Is your flat fee refundable?
- Will I have to pay the flat fee up front?
Asking the right questions will help you find the best criminal defense. However, if you’re unsure you could ask the attorney you spoke with about cases that they’ve dealt with before. So, learning more about their experiences can help you make a decision.
Contact an Experienced New Jersey Criminal Defense Attorney Today!
Are you looking for a criminal defense attorney in New Jersey? The attorneys at Maduabum Law Firm can provide you with expert legal defense. Contact us today at (973) 732-1490 to speak with one of our criminal defense attorneys
Navigating Immigration Court: Finding the Right Representation with an Expert Immigration Lawyer
Immigration court can be a challenging and complicated process, but having the right representation by your side can make all the difference. In this article, we will discuss the importance of securing a qualified immigration lawyer to navigate the immigration...